Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Bella Has Passed Away


Bella, our little Maltese dog, passed away Thursday, June 7, 2012, after two abdominal surgeries at the age of three years, nine months. The veterinarian removed 41 stones from a bladder about the size of a coin purse, but the rigors of the surgeries proved to be overwhelming.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the huge void this little dog has left in my life, and it comes down to this. Bella brought us joy. Whether she was sitting high up on the back of the couch, or perched on my shoulder, or lying at the side of the bed, she lived her life pretty much on her own terms. When it was time for her to play, she would bring her toys and drop them by us. (She knew each one by name.) When she was hungry, she ate. When she wanted to go out, she rang the bells hanging on the door knob. (Yes, really.) When she was ready to go to bed, she went to bed. This little six-pound dog was packed full of spirit, life, and overall feistiness. She grew up around big dogs and even bigger people and was never intimidated. Bella was always in charge of her domain. I have said on many occasions that only God could put so much personality and character into such a little frame.

Bella and I liked to take walks together. She would walk for about a block, then sit down and wait for me to pick her up and carry her. It was always quite matter-of-fact. “Carry me now. I’m tired.” And I carried her a lot of places. Everyone wanted to pet her, of course, but she was quite selective. And when she accepted you, you were her friend from that moment on.

Right now there are so many rough edges. We know, of course, that there are many negative situations in our community and world of great importance, and we don’t expect everyone to understand the grief we feel. But right now, there is an empty spot in our hearts that only a little Maltese can fill.

Some people have argued that there are no dogs in heaven.  They are wrong.  Scripture tells us that someday Jesus will return on a white horse.  And there just might be a little white Maltese at His side.  

Bella, we miss you.

P.S. from Shelley:  
Please send your email address to my husband if you’d like us to contact you in the future or if you’d like to leave any comments.  We’ve appreciated your input so much regarding “Bella in Belize,” and we’re astounded that within four to five months of originating a blog, the audience stretches around the world.  Thank you. Tom’s email follows.
tfay5000@gmail.com

7 comments:

  1. I am crying. My heart hurts. I miss my granddog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about Bella. Annie is mourning the passing of her buddy. Love you guys. - Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry to hear about your baby. It's never easy to say good bye. I know she is happy in heaven. No more sickness no more pain. And our four legged friends and animals of all kinds will definitely be in heaven. He cares if a sparrow falls and in heaven you can put your hand in the den of a snake and not get bit. Each little pet we have is so different with their own unique spirits that alone tells me God cares for them loves and enjoys them and has made a special place for them. May He comfort your heart. Love you both and miss you greatly. Sonya Jason Evangelina n Serenity

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so so sorry to hear about your loss of Bella. Losing a pet really is like losing a member of the family. All my sympathy. A friend of mine went to Heaven in a vision and met his dog who had died and was able to speak to him and understand him! I can't wait to finally meet Bella im Heaven. Joanna Boulton-Saddoris

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your guys loss. I was shocked by the news...I can't even imagine. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been almost a week since Bella's passing; I've observed Tom walking out on the pier and staring blindly into the crystal turquoise waters or take solemn bike rides into town. I've listened to Shelley patiently tell the sad, detailed story - much like you read above, over and over to concerned friends. Each of us grieves differently, each of us is connected to Bella uniquely. I can see through this blog that her sweet life brought curiosity and adventure into our own. God bless you Tom and Shelley, and especially bless your patience with us, your friends as we struggle to find a way to support you during this rough time.

    ReplyDelete

Leave Your Comments, Please